Remote server services can help your medical practice retain all necessary patient files in a safe manner. Recent changes with HIPAA compliance have turned many medical offices on their head. The changes required employee training, which took away from work productivity and efficiency. There was no way around it, because the penalties for not educating employees and staff could result in numerous legal troubles.
This is why it is important to be able to backup all of your medical files consistently. By having a means for backup, you can ensure compliance with all regulatory agencies and provide a safety net for your medical practice as well. If there is ever any question or doubt, you have all the documentation you need to protect yourself. How do you go about doing this, though? The first step is to consider using a data backup services provider.
Costs Associated With Remote Server Services & Data Backup Services
The costs associated with these services will vary and depend on the features and functions implemented. Here are six major categories that can help you, as you consider the cost of implementing a data backup services provider for your medical practice:
- The level of service and features provided.
- Unmanaged backups vs. managed backups.
- Archiving periods and data retention options.
- The maximum number of files that have different versions of themselves.
- The number of computer systems that are covered by the service.
- The complete amount of files or data that is going to be retained.
While some data backup services provide an unlimited amount of versions for each file, other remote server services put limits in place. There is also plug-ins that enables your medical office to retain files that are locked. In addition, some services enable you to back up files that are in use or open.
Most remote server services decrease the total amount of data that they transfer by only backing up files that have been changed. This means that the total amount of data that your office stores are reduced. This can also aid in saving money. Another way the total amount of data can be reduced is through only transferring changed data bits by block level incremental backups. Instead of wasting resources by transferring the same data over and over, only a portion is transmitted. This is more efficient, since there is no bandwidth waste.
What Are The Advantages Of Data Backup Services?
There are many advantages to using a data backup service provider. Using these kinds of services over traditional back up methods is important. Here is a list of advantages of using remote server services:
- The most important key to using a backup service is that the files and data are stored away from the original site. Traditional backup methods required that one manually take the media away from the medical office. With remote services this is done in minutes, without interruption of work flow or productivity.
- There is no user intervention required with these services. There are no tapes to change, no CD’s to copy, and no labels to print out.
- There is no limit as to the data that can be backed up. Do you want to back up all your data for the last three years? Or do you want to back up all your data for the last ten years? It makes no difference.
- The backups can be automated. You can choose to have a scheduled backup for your medical office or you can choose to have a continuous backup throughout the entire day.
- Most services will keep a list of various versions of your files.
- Some of these services will reduce your backup data by only transferring changed files.
Why Your Medical Office Could Benefit From Remote Server Services
Your medical practice can benefit from these services by backing up all of your necessary patient files. Let’s face it, there are so many variables involved when it comes to running a successful medical practice. With the extensive HIPAA regulations, you can’t afford to cut corners or take things lightly. Documentation of every step is necessary and many medical practices have almost lost viability by cutting corners in this area. By using data backup services and remote server services to retain all of your computer system files, you can rest easy.